Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 08-16-09   #1
Daedralord

Default Rune spells and bindrunes

Some background as to why this interests me:

The bind rune above is a bindrune meant to protect your computer from any possible harm. Because I find the subject of spells and their construction in various traditions fascinating I would like to bring this up for discussion. You see a charm like this or a spell in a book and you are expected if you follow the instruction to the letter to just use the spells as is. I don't agree with the notion of working magic blindly admitted in some instances mystery and not knowing can aid the magic because it suspends rational beliefs and doubt. While this may work as a charm for the masses I believe a magician is educated and in control of what he wields.

Off topic for a sec: I am going to focus on runes here but basically the Kabbalah/Qaballah has the exact same principles you can use for analsysis of rituals and spells. Note numerology and gematria also what corespondences used to what planet related etc.

The above bind rune is a simple example and a modern symbol to protect your computer. Some rune spells get really elaborate and don't look like anything even vaguely resembling runes anymore. Yet the runes are still the structure behind them and you can analyze the magic by deciphering what makes it tick. Once you do this you can draw on the same ideas to make your own magic spells. That is why I always find it important to analyze and break down any magic spell you come across or likewise rituals in grimoires and find out the structure behind them and what makes them tick.

To the bindrune: This one is rather easy to use it effectively I would not recommend using it as is. I would recommend making your own spell out of it and applying analysis. I have always liked chanting the runic galdr and saying a short spell of activation. So let us see what runes we find in the bindrune.

Odal makes perfect sense here it is property and is a central element of the bindrune there at the top.

Elhaz/Algiz also makes perfect sense it is protective and all runes bound with it takes on a protective function.

A thurisaz whether by accident or design makes perfect sense. It is used for protection or attack but bound with Elhaz it shields all harm.

A Rad rune can make sense since we are dealing with moving parts in a computer and moving parts that need to keep moving and effectively. The Rad part may be optional but still makes sense.

Fehu and Ansuz can be seen too but again rather optional in my opinion. One for productivity and the other for communication since communication in a computer may be essential to its effective functioning communication between Ram, Cpu motherboard. Also communication as in a door to the internet and also protection upon this door.

Now there are some aspects of this bindrune that confuses me the little part at the end seems like no identifiable part at least to me. At first I thought Eiwaz another door of communication but it would be the wrong way around. I also thought of the runic variant wolfangel due to the other little strange diagonal line in the middle but still the wrong way round and Wolfangel with Elhaz is also a very powerful shield. Wolfsangel also usually has a horizontal line.

Finally, it could be Laguz but reversed now this did not make sense to me at first because Laguz seems so positive to me. But if we take it as elemental water it does make sense. The reversed lagu can ward off water damage! Does this reasoning make any sense?

Now just that little diagonal line in the centre could it be a Rad reversed? Or a Nyd with the diagonal at another angle? That one still confuses me. Thoughts? Other runes that can be found would be Tiwaz, Ingwaz, Kenaz, Wunjo but these may or may not be applied effectively on a computer the one’s already identified makes more sense.

Once we know the runes used and what makes sense I will go on and write incantations to use with this.

Last edited by Daedralord; 08-16-09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-18-09   #2
Daedralord

Default Re: Rune spells and bindrunes

Bump! No one interested in analyzing runic spells with me. This would have gotten exciting once we got to the Galdrabok. Ah, well...

Last edited by Daedralord; 08-18-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-18-09   #3
Rapture

I know nothing about runes but I am interested in learning, so I can't analyse runes with you but I am interested in reading more.

Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09   #4
Daedralord

Gala, you can always look at the original thread if you would like to know more. I included a link on the very first page to a site that should help you get started. There are more links later in the thread too, all may be very helpful. If you are interested....

http://earthsongforums.com/showthread.php?t=46
Old 08-18-09   #5
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

DL I am interested in rune magic. I don't want to use it at this point but I do want to learn more. Sadly I don't have a copy of the Galdrabok

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09   #6
grog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedralord View Post
Bump! No one interested in analyzing runic spells with me. This would have gotten exciting once we got to the Galdrabok. Ah, well...
well you pretty muh analyzed it all.
i think that "confusing aspects" are accidentally there. it happened to me few times when i was making sigils out of latin letters, and i guess it happens even more often with runes, because they are made of straight lines only.
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09   #7
Darkwater

http://www.bec.bz/runecourse/rune%20magick07.html

looks like there is a few Hag-all on yer bindrune DL?
Old 08-19-09   #8
Daedralord

Interesting thing there DW. I never thought the person who came up with the sigil may have used a different rune row. I thought Elder Futhark by default and yet I myself would not abstain from including non-standard runes such as Wolfsangel or Erda in my spells. I don't know it could be Armanen runes. But the runes I extracted that relate more to the Elder Futhark does make sense and I think that is an important factor when analyzing old spells or other's spells it should make sense to you and you should unravel it so you can use it yourself with understanding.
Old 08-19-09   #9
Darkwater

A bi-furcation occurred within the tribe around 6,000 years ago,so a lot depends upon the nature of your oversoul.

With Bind Runes you have to remember that they are always upon a centre line,which sometimes denotes a part rune symbol although usually dosen't,it is just the leather or wood or bone or whatever which holds it in place.

I used the link to try figure the bind rune I received....

Have you managed to interpret the one in the op DL?

Great Love,

DW
Old 08-23-09   #10
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedralord View Post

Did you want to work through the book and have discussions along the way or did you have something else in mind?

Some dude gave me a copy of it so I'm all set.

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote