Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 06-03-08   #1
Daedralord

Default Magic Used for Healing Animals

I developed this method merely by combining some well known elements. But it is based on effective techniques from folk magic/sympathetic magic (which I always find interesting)some herbal lore and some runic magic. Each of these systems are optional and the method can be expanded in many directions as deemed appropriate.

(I have seen poppets used all the time in the form of human beings but never seen one mentioned for animals. So just thought it may be a nice idea to write this for those animals with whom we share our lives. And also for Serafina for all her hard and excellent work with animals. This is dedicated to you all of you.)

A disclaimer with healing magic is necessary, use only in conjunction with legitimate veterinary check-up and diagnosis and do not discard conventional medicine/practices. You can use it in conjunction with veterinary treatment to aid ailing animals or help them in their recovery/ease their pain. This is untested and not used on animals before either.

Make a simple cloth poppet by taking a piece of cloth, trace a basic outline of your animal like a simple dog or cat shape (horse, whatever...). Cut both these out and sew them together. But leave an opening for stuffing. Use as stuffing hair from the animal (give them a nice brush pet hair is quite easy to get, and some really enjoy this) and perhaps some healing herbs (we might consider compiling a useful list of herbs and their magical/medical uses, I would need some help but will get to that later).

Lets go with something basic for now as an example use the herb Calendula (Marigold, Marybud, Holibud Calendula Officinalis)which is considered a cure all if you are unsure on what to use or on the nature of the ailment. Use more specific herbs or ingredients to do with the specific ailment.

Write a runic formula for healing on it the "word of power" for healing is SALU (write in the runes) we access the power of the word itself and also the runes it contains. Consisting of Sighel, Ansuz, Lagu and Ur. A perfect combination since the word itself contains runes used for healing in some contexts.

An imperfect attemp at analysis would be that Sighel is associated with healing because it is the power of the sun and of light and it counters the darkness and degeneration, bringing beneficial growth and strenghtening the life force. Ansuz calls on the divine and can call on their aid. It also helps restore order and balance. Lagu is the power of water that can heal by removing obstacles. The body also passes many toxins in liquid form. Ur harnesses power and strenghtens the life force. Bringing stamina and preserverence and a strenghtening. "The divine beneficial power of the light to counter illness and remove toxins and to strenghten the life force in summary."

Mark the runes at the appropriate place on the animal of the ailment.

Take the poppet and use it in conjuntion with the ritual openings your tradition would usually employ. Place the poppet on the altar if one is used and sprinkle it with blessed water (salt added to water and an appropriate invocation of the divine done to bless it) to purify and cense it with the smoke of incense to consecrate. Say "I purify with water" and when censing "I consecrate with fire".

Now continue saying something similar to "I name this poppet (animals name) it is him/her in every way. As he/she lives so lives this poppet. Everything done to it will be done to him/her".

Now visualize strongly the animal in a peak condition of health completely happy and content and the ailment completely gone.
"Feel" the feelings of love and compassion towards this animal and you must want it to get better.

As you visualize chant the runes contained in the formula Sighel, Ansuz, Lagu Ur...Sighel, Anzus, Lagu Ur....This chanting and visualization helps you focus and binds your energy together. You want to "create on the astral" a thoughtform of this. Usually thought forms are fleeting. By constantly giving it attention in this manner it becomes stronger. All things you manifest on the astral plane will by virtue of the natural order of things come into being in the physical world. End by saying "Sighel, may the beneficial power of light banish all ailments, Ansuz, by the sacred divine power this shall be done, Lagu, let all ailments flow from him/her, Ur, strenghten the life force of this creature SALU!SALU!SALU! So mote it be!."

Note: If the animal has had surgery mark the incision on the poppet at the appropriate place but sew shut during the ritual.

Close your temple using your usual methods. And put the poppet away in a safe place. But daily take it out and repeat the chanting, visualization and feeling of emotion. Repeat until a MARKED improvement in the condition can be seen anything from 1-2 weeks depending on the ailment. Longer periods for more complicated ailments. Use moon phases as appropriate. If the ailment is to "remove something" use waning. If to help strenghten use waxing.

Note: The astral plane creation idea is one theory of the inner workings of magic. Runes are powerful sysmbols in themselves and spiritual realities. They should be respected.

Some sources I consulted for ideas:

Buckland, R. 2002. Complete Book of Witchcraft Llewellyn
Publications. Minnesota.

Pennick, R. 1992. Secrets of the Runes Thorsons. Wales.
Old 06-05-08   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Magic Used for Healing Animals

Thank you for this DL - I am quite distressed at the level of Danny's grief and pining for lila right now and am looking at magical support to help him heal. Exercise, playdates, Flower Essences, it all helps, but ultimately he has lost his packmate and beloved friend and he's very down. I have to smile because Dan's nickname since puppyhood has been "my poppet". This came from how cute he looked in his oversized winter coat, like a little wide eyed doll. Maybe now I need to make a real one for him?

I think I will try something magical, since the poor lad needs all the help he can get right now. I was sure he had understood that Lila is gone, but last night we were outside, and he ran to the van door all excited and anxious. It broke my heart knowing he was looking for her in the place they always loved to ride around in; it was as if he was syaing "Oh my GOD, is she IN THERE?" I wish I could just explain to him, and I've tried, but his distress is palpable.

Thanks again DL.. I'll keep you posted as to results.
sera
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08   #3
Daedralord

Just note although I know all these methods and by all means they should work I never tested it. I do wish you the best with Danny and that it can really help. I have seen magic can be really powerful for this. Of course for Hercules I used a servitor. Merely a water elemental. Did a full ritual opening where I used the opening of the watchtower to bring it into manifistation. Condensed and controlled the element into a ball shaped sphere and blew elemental energy and life into it etc. I named it and gave it a carefully worded command. The name was constructed from the statement of intent like Heal Bla, bla, bla, remove all ailments. Simply constructed a name by taking the first letter of each word and then I made a sigil from the golden dawn rose cross symbol. Daily I call the elemental along with formal ritual context. And I chant the name, trace the sigil and add visuals and feeling. It worked great instantly since the effects were very marked and noticed by others. But as I commented in Hitmans thread on the servitors. These beings sometimes do a good job and sometimes work awhile and behave erraticly, which makes me think that a problem should be tackled from various magical angles. "The army of servitors/thought forms kind of idea".
Old 06-05-08   #4
Erithacus

Dankie, Daedralord. I work healing on animals too - well, just parrots really - so I found your post very interesting. I shall definitely look into your suggested techniques.
and the North Wind that comes from Atum for your nostrils.
Erithacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08   #5
Babs

I personally have performed the LBRP with my SO and my cat in proximity though not at the same time. Then I sent them healing energies. Since then SO's health is improving and my cat really wont leave me alone LOL...
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08   #6
Habilus

I brought my cat back from the dead[her head had been run over by a golf cart!]I used energy from my heart chakara to keep her alive while she healed.another time I used the same energy on a dog who had his leg broken by a car,he dosen't even limp today.
Old 09-27-09   #7
Brigidrose
Mermaid

My female Cat Farah had a UTI early this year. I took her in to the vet got some anitbiotics. Gave her smaller doses. They wanted me to re fill but I decided to Reiki her first. I had her on my lap and layed my hands on the area. My hands got very hot, (sign of the blockage in energy) she laid so still for me. She also moved on her back so I could get a different aspect. She perked up, her nose became cold and wet and her appetite returned. About a month later I was feeling like I was getting a clod or something. I was in bed early and Farah came up to lay in between my legs. She became very hot, I could feel her vibrating. I felt completely better that morning. She is my sweetie. I also will Reiki my little boy Cujy, he has some allergies, his eyes will swell shut. He is fine within an hour.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10   #8
Tanya

While I don't like the term currently used (because it sound sooo pompus)... I am an animal whisperer... I find animals have really wide open (again for lack of a better word) psychic doors. One has only to settle down to their speed and tune in their body language(watch their EARS!), and you are IN.... animals joke around and are very "British" (stiff upper lip and all that) but they don't lie about how they are or what they think.

giving your self to their pace and ways of speaking means you can start to give them the emotional support that we humans give each other thru illness and stress, and clearly we know for ourselves that this is intensly important to good physical and emotional health.

I really don't see much difference between people and animals in terms of thier needs. A depressed pack/herd/flock animal needs just what a depressed human needs, quiet time, physical contact, love, support and tantilizing distractions to tempt them back into more active engagement with life.

Last edited by Tanya; 04-01-10 at 05:56 AM.
Tanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10   #9
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

This is something I have been doing for years, it is funny I think that the main stream is just now getting wind of this. I treat my critters just like I do my kids, but my kids come first.

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..
-Will Rogers as the Cherokee Kid

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Ravenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10   #10
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
While I don't like the term currently used (because it sound sooo pompus)... I am an animal whisperer... I find animals have really wide open (again for lack of a better word) psychic doors. One has only to settle down to their speed and tune in their body language(watch their EARS!), and you are IN.... animals joke around and are very "British" (stiff upper lip and all that) but they don't lie about how they are or what they think.
I call it "entering the field" - I just adjust myself to their collective being or Oversoul and enter in passively, so i can hear them. I dislike "whisperer" too, because I don't whisper nearly so much as i listen.

One of the most amazing thing to do with dogs is don;t speak AT ALL. Level the playing field and dosn't use voice at all. DOgs are so intricately and subtly visual, if you start to work with THEIR language, it's deeply humbling. And funny too, watching them wonder why the hell the monkey FINALLY shut up.

One of my own disciplines is to go a day a week with no voice at all, and to use it as little as possible with my dogs.

Quote:
I really don't see much difference between people and animals in terms of thier needs. A depressed pack animal needs just what a depressed human needs, quiet time, physical contact, love, support and tantilizing distractions to tempt them back into more active engagement with life.
I see that. but I also see great individuality within species. If my dog Luke was down, only leaving him alone to work it out himself would help. Danny, who rarely gets "down" - physical exercise and play is just about a panacea. Some dogs respond well to reassurances, others will become more needy if overly comforted. They're individuals, aside from being dogs.

I have no human kids, nor any family at all - my dogs, cats, horse etc are IT.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote