Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 07-28-09   #11
Ludovic

Default Re: Rune Magic

The only success I have with runes so far is to 'invoke' algiz for protection. I imagine a large algiz drawn inside me and charge it inside, allowing the energy to expand outwards.
Old 07-28-09   #12
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I use the elder futhark, not so much for divination although I wouldn't have a problem with that if I thought it was necessary.

Meditations on individual runes and certain groups of runes are powerful learning tools for me. I'm learning to tap into the power that the symbols represent.

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09   #13
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedralord View Post
Anyone here with a particular interest in the Germanic runes (Futhark). Or with experience in their use. I have found most people seem to believe they are only used for divination. But I have always seen their function as primarily magical and have found them truly powerful.

Me too, couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-28-09   #14
Nacken

I've been studying the runes this past year. I don't know how useful they are to me yet. I'm trying to memorize each rune's meaning and meditate on each one. Once I've done enough of that It ought to be useful. I can feel that the runes have unique energies. It is just a matter of using them.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09   #15
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I actually find meditating on the energies to be an enlightening exercise in itself. To begin to understand the concepts and energies is very revealing. There are many lessons to be learned and applications on many levels. Knowing is the first step, understanding is the next, then applying.

Old 07-29-09   #16
petrus4
Leaper

The guy who originally taught me about Chaos Magick later became Asatruar, and we used the Futhark as our mystick alphabet of choice for the multi-sigil stuff we did.

I don't really remember their meanings much, though.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09   #17
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

When I began learning about runes I took their basic meanings then meditated to find my interpretation of that in their literal power, beyond the actual symbols. I was surprised at how subjective they can be. There is raw, kind of elemental power within those symbols for anyone to discover who searches. The written symbols are of course powerful in themselves but they are merely the surface of amazing depths. I became overwhelmed when I first had a glimpse of this, then I got really excited and I now work to develop my rune knowledge as an intrinsic part of my journey. At first I was trying to learn about runes as an individual facet of my journey and that wasn't ever going to work for me.

I now believe that while each rune has a specific type of energy, they don't have specific meanings.

Old 08-03-09   #18
Daedralord

For Nesta, here are some of the things I had posted on this long ago on the old forum.

Quote:
The runes contribute to a truly powerful system of magic. Some years ago my first mentor and I developed a system of weather manipulation by using runic formulae and it worked great. Although I won't mess around with the weather too much anymore. Had some interesting effects with this.

The other day I got caught in a rainstorm/hail when out for a walk and got trapped at a shopping center. Started chanting my little formula of banishing these effects and within minutes it subsided so I could get home. And this is a repeat result anyway. Could make it hail and stop it and also once produced snow in a country and area where this is VERY rare.
More to follow
Old 08-03-09   #19
Daedralord

Sheesh my writing embarreses me as I read through what I wrote long ago

Quote:
The following include many of my own conjecture and opinions I will share my formula here however. I would recommend having a basic understanding of the runes when attempting magical work with them, each is a very distinct kind of energy and force. I can somehow describe them as underlying energies "powers" behind creation, very primal and strong.

I mentioned the aspect of weather control once before in a thread at OF there are some runic magicians there that come to the forum occasionally, I know of Rick and I was amazed when he said the formula I described sounded like what he had used before although with some variations.

The runes used include Thorn, Ur, Lagu, Hagal and Isa (different names and spellings are used) and these are associated with elemental forces on many levels. (Rick disagreed on using Ur specifically although he said that he understood the reasoning for it)

Ur was primary in the formula it is a "power rune" and empowers other runes it is used with, a drive for the working. It releases and evokes powers and forces. When used with Lagu it calls forth the powers of water. Thus these two combined "summons and tames" the powers of water. Used with Thorn as well in some aspects the rune is associated with Thor as God of thunder. Thorn is also another power rune and is sometimes also associated with frost giants, other elemental beings.

Lagu "tunes" one into and channels the very power of flowing water in all its aspects, used more mystically and in other contexts to clear blockages and cleanse. By using these three simple runes together with the intent behind it. And tuning into the powers you seek to call forth it works amazingly.

Keep chanting the runic names. Feel those feelings you feel when a thunderstorm builds visualize the rain and the storm in some ways feel yourself become attuned to it "as one". In a while, perhaps a little later that day clouds form and the associated weather system comes. Or it may come the next day but it usually happens quickly, depending on how much energy one would build into the chanting and the calling.

Hagall is hail by adding it to the above formula you form and summon hail, of course understanding somethings about hail formation also helps one understand some aspects of Hagall also what hail actually does and seeing its destructive but creative and transformative power. That Hagal and Isa are both runes of coldness and winter should be noted as well and Hagall is also associated with other forms of ice and coldness.

Isa is elemental ice, when used in combination with other runes. It brings a cold slowing, stabilizing element to them. Literally "freezes" things so add it to the above formula and you have the primary idea for cold and snow.

Very basic idea actually. But not many people realize these uses. Since most books on the runes seem to emphasize more metaphysical/mystical rather than literal meanings for the runes. Runes actually have both meanings. I am sure someone with more experience could work out a better system and expand more on this.

The formula we would use to reverse these effects gets even more odd and unorthodox. The mentor I learned some important things from never actually told me the context he got this idea from. Although it is based on the idea that a rune can be used reversed and it would invert or banish its powers. "Wend runes" were runes written backwards for various reasons usually for hiding messages to those who could not read them or such. But magically it does appear to work like this as well.

But what we would do was add a word signifying "banish" to each rune. But like I said I do not really know the context if any for this. Perhaps this word became sort of a personal word of power like a shorthand "cantrip" with intent bound into it. Anyway I would be stuck in the rain and hailstorm. And I would repeat the formula and now combine it with this odd power word after each runic word/name. While also "feeling" that feeling one has after a storm and rain (a great feeling of freshness and renewal to me, still hearing some drops and inhaling that glorious cool air, feeling so cleansed now, from living in a city perspective). Also visualize this idea. And voila! From a severe storm to a light drizzle and cessation in a couple of minutes. And it works for me everytime. It is not all so instantaneous. If you have something present to already work with it usually manifests quicker for instance if there already are some clouds coming and a slight chance.

I would try to use weather magic rarely now a days. Although I am tempted sometimes like in the example I gave above. One can usually tell here where I am from whether a rainstorm is going to be a constant and prolonged one or whether a quick one. Based on the cloud formations and on the type of intensity of the rain. In minutes I mean everything from 5-15 usually. Perhaps the rain would stop on its own anyway in that time. Although I have done it during those rain bouts I know last for hours and sometimes days. Also a very odd coincidence if for instance using Hagall that hail always results with the effects.
The only way we can figure this out is for others to test and try it out I suppose.

But it would be interesting to hear your take on this Nesta.
Old 08-03-09   #20
Daedralord

Quote:
Thorn Ur Lagu = Rain

Thorn Ur Lagu Hagall = Harder rainfall, storms, hailstorms

Thorn Ur Lagu Is +- Hagall = Snowfall, cold weather

Of course these same forces can be countered by other runes as well representing their opposites there are runes associated with fiery aspects and the sun. Sighel (sun)can be used to call upon sunlight and light/heat to counter some of these powers of course meaning it starts to show up through the clouds and they disperse. Ken is another fiery rune. I am serious it has actually worked for me like this although I admit it sounds odd.
Last bit.