Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Creative Spirituality > The Earthsong Altar

The Earthsong Altar This forum is for members who wish to create an online altar; a personal space of communion, offering, reverence and relationship

Old 06-14-11   #11
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Default Re: Hecate [GS]

Mon_Sno - interested in your opinion here... Again, almost the direct ritual from Sorita... On a different day to her 2011 open ritual which was in May.

For some reason I am really uncomfortable with speaking incantations in a language I do not know and do not speak fluently...

And some of the words grab me, but others... leave me unmoved.

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11   #12
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Man this is going to get me in trouble I just know it... he he he he

For me I do not care for the ritual at all. In part because I find parts to be at odd's with what I have discovered, such as the boiled grain, that would be a more apropriate offering to say Demeter than Hekate. The black raisons nothing but a poor substitute for black beans whch ties to her suppers at the crossroads. Even the bee's wax seem's wrong to me though a rolled bee's comb candle is different than bee's wax. I say rolled Bee's comb as they tend to sparkle when burnt and it is triformus as it ties earth, water and air together.

The other part is the recitatal of her epitates. I asked her once about some of that and got a rather interesting answer. I do not recall the word now but she asked me what it meant and I told her I didn't know. She pretty much told me she didn't expect me to as it was not of my time or place. As such why would I call upon her with it or use it to describe her? It didn't hold power for me as I was not born to the energy of its use. Now I truly am not sure if that was a reference to Woman's power and energy, ancient energy and purpose or even the energy of a word and the images it instilled in the user. Heck it might even have been all of it as one.

I will use some old fashion words and phrases for they speak to me and hold a presense that takes me back to the med when I say them. It's like Anatolia speaks to me but I have a very hard time equating it to modern Turkey so I use Anatolia. To call upon the old energy and power of Lagina though it has a modern name now. In some things I will use the old way of spelling but again it is based upon what she has shown me, what i have found in my research, UPG, etc.

In parts I also think it based upon the view she has of me and that I have of her. To me she is far from simply being the goddess of the crossroads and witches. She is the foam that rides upon the tip of the wave and carries her stories and tales to far shores. She is the tempest that hammers the waves and shores, beating upon all before her, either to destory or make stronger. She is the albatross that soars high above and guides one to shore, she is the river that falls from the high mountain peaks and guides one to far shores and hidden valleys. Yet even all of that fails to say just who and what she is.

In that facet I suppose she might be said as being vain. Vain in that she knows what she was in antiquity and what she ment to them. Yet the energy and passion of her is what she desires today from us. It is the faith, dedication and commitment to her that drives me, compells me and pushes and motivates me forward that she wants from me.

The chants, hyms and saluations used by the ancient Greeks expressed their energy. Rome's dedications were in Latin not Greek and that was the energy of thier time and place. Shakespheare used old english to speak to her and convey the truth of her identity. To me to speak to her in such archaic terms in chant, saluations or jubulation is to point backwards not to sing her praise into the future and call upon the energies of my time and place.

Now I don't know whether I answered your question or not or just muddied the waters even further.
Old 06-15-11   #13
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Mon_Sno, that is a wonderful answer - thank you for taking the time.

I participated in the first Great Rite to Hekate as co=ordinated and designed by Sorita.

Here's her ritual - on facebook she is making very clear that she is not pleased with the adaptation:

Invocation to Hekate:
The Rite of the Devotee to Her Sacred Fires ~ www.hekatecovenant.com
All rights reserved. (c) The Covenant of Hekate 2010

I invoke thee, Great Mistress of the Heaven, Earth and Sea,
By your mysteries of Night and Day,
By the Light of the Moon and the Shadow of the Sun
I invoke thee, Mistress of life, death and rebirth
Emerge now from the shadow realm to feed my soul and enlighten my mind,
Triple-formed Mistress of the three ways
I entreat thee, Key-bearing Mistress of the Nightwandering Souls
To bring forth your wisdom from amongst the stars
To bring down your starfire from the darkness between,
Creatrix of Light!
Goddess of the Shadow Realms! Light-bearing queen!
Whisper now your secrets!
Fire-bringer! Earthly-one! Queen of Heaven!
[Raise both hands with palms facing upwards to the heavens (three heartbeats) and
then touch the ground palms downwards]
[Sit before the candle and prepare to light it]
[Take three deep breaths and allow your senses to awaken]

Say:
Hekate, companion and guide to the mysteries
I light this sacred fire in your honour, [light fire]
Its light uniting the stars and stones, the heavens and the earth,
With this fire I express my desire for a greater understanding of your mysteries
[Oath]
Great Hekate, Triple Formed Goddess of the Crossroads, to whom I dedicate this Rite.
Tonight in the light of this full moon, [insert date], I offer myself as a Devotee of your Sacred
Fires. Through the ebb and flow of the natural cycles I will strive towards fulfilling my own
potential in a quest for wisdom through knowledge and understanding of your mysteries. I
dedicate myself to the fulfilment of this oath, from my heart, from my mind and from my
body.
Askei Kataskei Eron Oreon Ior Mega Samnyer Baui (3 times) Phobantia Semne
Great Hekate, who spins the web of the stars and governs the spiral of life
Guide me through towards pathways of understanding,
From Crossroad to Crossroad,
The Torchbearers and the Keybearers of your mysteries,
will always find one another,
[Extinguish the flame, then place both your hands on your heart (three heartbeats), your
forefinger and middle finger of your dominant hand to your lips (three heartbeats), and then
to your brow (three heartbeats).]

[Open your palms reaching towards the heaven, then reach down and touch the Earth.]

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Old 06-15-11   #14
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I enjoyed it - as an experience... but as discussed with you at the time, I didn't feel like it was something that I then had to follow through with, in terms of joining the Covenant Of Hekate (as much as I admire what Sorita is doing).

Some of the phrases - like you said, just didn't resonate for me at all.

I think, as you said, I get a sense of there being so much more, and it being much more personal - Hekate seems to be one that has moved with the times, and I have an experience of her that seems much more in tune with my life and my expression and my experience.

My feeling is that this is a very traditional reconstructionalist perspective - and maybe, that is what puts me off in part.

The boiled grain and raisons struck me as strange as well.... and I love your point about the Greek phrases or Ephesian letters not being of our time.. When I used them, I felt pretentious and gauche, both at the same time, somehow.

I did, however, as part of the exercise, write a poem of sorts, in Her honour - and for me personally, somehow, that is much more powerful for me, personally.

Old 06-15-11   #15
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne S. Morgana View Post
I enjoyed it - as an experience... but as discussed with you at the time, I didn't feel like it was something that I then had to follow through with, in terms of joining the Covenant Of Hekate (as much as I admire what Sorita is doing).
I know I've read some of her published works and found it really good in accuracy and such. Yet for some reason that site of hers turns me off and sends up warning flags in my mind. Keep hearing that old P.T. Barnum saying.."A fool and thier money are soon parted" couple to his other famous saying "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Quote:
Some of the phrases - like you said, just didn't resonate for me at all.
That's one that for me keeps getting stronger and stronger the longer I am with Hekate, or Artemis as she has written on her as well.

Quote:
I think, as you said, I get a sense of there being so much more, and it being much more personal - Hekate seems to be one that has moved with the times, and I have an experience of her that seems much more in tune with my life and my expression and my experience.
That one is hard to put into words for me. On one hand she is very approachable and more personal in her relationship with me. Yet I also know she can be very remote and detached and fit all the stero type stuff you read on her. However, I think at times she is like an actor playing a role in that she gives you what you think she shall be.

I can't say I think she has moved with the times for I truly believe all times are one to her. What I do tend to believe is that she's more dynamic than the limited facets of her paint. So much is taken from her or lost in the comparrisons to other goddess that her true nature is filled with holes.

Quote:
My feeling is that this is a very traditional reconstructionalist perspective - and maybe, that is what puts me off in part.
I wonder at times about that. Yet the main persona of her I see referenced so often is the later Roman persona with her attachement to witches and those of Shakespheare. Seldom do I see her reconstructed as what she probably was in her Anatolian figure.

Quote:
The boiled grain and raisons struck me as strange as well.... and I love your point about the Greek phrases or Ephesian letters not being of our time.. When I used them, I felt pretentious and gauche, both at the same time, somehow.
It's perhaps strange but just as Artemis had a language at Ephesos of magical scribings and inscriptions I feel Hekate had such at Lagina. Yet they seem to have been lost is the best description I can think of thier being missing. Yet I wouldn't be opposed to using them nor feel wrong about it if I knew them. But at the same time I often wonder if it was not a case of her removing them as she either no longer felt mankind deserved them or they no longer were being used as they were ment to be and thus had taken on new meanings that she would not allow or recognize. Sort of like the modern word "Gay" when looked at the evolution of its usage and meaning.

Quote:
I did, however, as part of the exercise, write a poem of sorts, in Her honour - and for me personally, somehow, that is much more powerful for me, personally.
While I have never written a poem about her I think that creative format is special to her. In some ways I think more important than statuary, frescos or paintings. Not to say that those formats are not creative and artistic but I think word wise there is power and depth in the written word but also a reflection of her words.
Old 06-15-11   #16
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I have just 'lost' my response to you, Mon_Sno.

I will come back at another time. I know you will understand.

Old 06-15-11   #17
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Quote:
I know I've read some of her published works and found it really good in accuracy and such. Yet for some reason that site of hers turns me off and sends up warning flags in my mind. Keep hearing that old P.T. Barnum saying.."A fool and thier money are soon parted" couple to his other famous saying "There's a sucker born every minute!"
Yes... I agree, somehow.

It's too.. structured for me somehow...

Hierarchical?

From very early on, say around the age of 8 or so, I have always had some sort of internal prohibition on joining groups .. this forum format is the closest so far that I have had any success with .. or any degree of comfort with.

Every time I attempt it - I am somehow steered away or put off.

*shrug* so, solitaire, I remain.

I thought perhaps it was my own ... erm... introverted self colouring my perceptions. It is comforting to know that someone else is getting the same message I seem to be receiving though. Perhaps comforting isn't quite the right word, but it will suffice.

Old 06-15-11   #18
DonnaL

I have written a poem to Hecate. I live at a triple crossroad and feel she is always close to me. i thank you all for sharing your beliefs here with the forum.

Even the wise cannot see all ends.....JRR Tolkien

All I wanna do is be friends with you--Bob Dylan
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11   #19
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I would love to see it, DonnaL, if you feel comfortable sharing it.

I am going to revisit mine to see if it is fit for the eyes of others. I was also thinking of trying to write a essay, for lack of a better word, about where I walk. Still tossing up on that one too!

Never mind, she has a wonderful habit of wiping computer hard drives when you are taking a project involving her in a direction she is not interested in! Found that one out the hard way - I was designing a set of threshold flags in her honour... almost finished, endless hours of work, and even if I do say so myself, they looked quite good.

I had the idea of incorporating the Greek phrase as given above (Askei Kataskei Eron Oreon Ior Mega Samnyer Baui (3 times) Phobantia Semne) - wrote to Sorita via fb to declare my intention - fried my entire hard drive, lost everything.

*sigh*

And they were so cool (I think).. I actually still mourn a little for that project.

Old 06-23-11   #20
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Hekate Devotional

Hekate

Torchbearer, Lightbringer

Shining One of the Min Min Light

Dark Woman of the Crows

I see you in the Southern Cross

A star at your feet, a star in your crown, your torches blazing

Two dogs to your side

I honour you

Hekate

Lady of the Crossroads

Tireless Edgewalker

Maintainer of Balance

The Ghost Gums stand

As your sentinels

As your guards would have

At temple, another time, another place

I honour you

Hekate

Keeper of the Keys

Queen of the Milky Way

Mistress of the Flying Foxes

The brolgas dance to you

At the thresholds of the day

As your priestesses would have

Another time, another place

I honour you.

(If this captures anyone's fancy, feel free to use it - although it is a deliberately Australian re=storying - but please, if you use it, acknowledge the source : Fabienne S. Morgana)

Last edited by Fabienne S. Morgana; 06-23-11 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Permission