Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 06-15-10   #1
Daedralord

Default Seeing the runes as spirit entities...

I have come across this view a few times. People frequently talk about Rune Spirits. In this view it seems each rune has a semblence of awareness like a spirit entity on its own. I also think of runes as embodying the power of a certain aspect of creation or of the cosmos. When I tap into Lagu I tap into all mysteries and power with water. I can attune with water in various ways and with all aspects of waters both physically and symbolically. Laguz embodies all these mysteries of water and its associations in one symbol.

In the view of rune spirits this symbol is also a spirit entity. Recently I tried working with the runes in this manner. Treating them as spirits to be respected and I could feel that the runes responded well to this. ie. I addressed one of the runes while charging a talisman and called upon it as a spirit. Called the rune by name then. Rune Spirit consecrate and charge this talisman. From the good flow of energy I thought the response was quite good. I surrounded myself in the colour of the rune using the frequently used correspondences given by Thorsson and Pennick. Then called upon the rune as a spirit to aid in the ritual of talisman consecration. I still followed traditional steps but wanted to try this to help bring life to the runic object.

Any thoughts on treating runes as spirits? Do you feel it unconventional and non-traditional. A lot of practitioners seem to come to the conclusion that runes are entities in and of themselves that is what got me wondering.
Old 06-15-10   #2
TheWomanMonster
the dragon woman.

Default Re: Seeing the runes as spirit entities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedralord View Post
Any thoughts on treating runes as spirits? Do you feel it unconventional and non-traditional. A lot of practitioners seem to come to the conclusion that runes are entities in and of themselves that is what got me wondering.
I've not stumbled across this way of thinking on my own path.
It doesn't make much sense to me initially.

Now are they speaking of Runes 'in general' or of a specific Runic System? Does it work with any other symbols?

I could see how the Rune could be imbued with the energy that it represents, like a thought form or construct. But does that make it an actual spirit? In my opinion no, but that's just me.
TheWomanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10   #3
Daedralord

http://www.northernshamanism.org/runespirits.html
Old 06-15-10   #4
Daedralord

Also not forgetting that some of the runes are the direct names and symbols of deities. I think that to a degree support the ideas.
Old 06-15-10   #5
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

would this be something along the lines of how i feel my stones have personalities, like you know feeling the energy in something and feeling that it maybe in some sort of way has its own spirit?

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10   #6
Daedralord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya View Post
would this be something along the lines of how i feel my stones have personalities, like you know feeling the energy in something and feeling that it maybe in some sort of way has its own spirit?
I think this could be an aspect of it indeed.
Old 06-15-10   #7
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

then my question owuld be would they be feeling their own spirit from the energy they ahve put inot the reading of the runes or the spirit fo the entities, that i think would be a good question to ask before establishing its unconventionality

though i will say i am one of several people i know that feel our stones do have feelings and personalities

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10   #8
Sacred
Forever changing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedralord View Post
I have come across this view a few times. People frequently talk about Rune Spirits. In this view it seems each rune has a semblence of awareness like a spirit entity on its own. I also think of runes as embodying the power of a certain aspect of creation or of the cosmos. When I tap into Lagu I tap into all mysteries and power with water. I can attune with water in various ways and with all aspects of waters both physically and symbolically. Laguz embodies all these mysteries of water and its associations in one symbol.

In the view of rune spirits this symbol is also a spirit entity. Recently I tried working with the runes in this manner. Treating them as spirits to be respected and I could feel that the runes responded well to this. ie. I addressed one of the runes while charging a talisman and called upon it as a spirit. Called the rune by name then. Rune Spirit consecrate and charge this talisman. From the good flow of energy I thought the response was quite good. I surrounded myself in the colour of the rune using the frequently used correspondences given by Thorsson and Pennick. Then called upon the rune as a spirit to aid in the ritual of talisman consecration. I still followed traditional steps but wanted to try this to help bring life to the runic object.

I just started reading my Rune book and this is automatically how I felt towards them. Each rune is individual and has a spirit/personality. I did wonder why I automatically felt this way and why it was so natural because I have not heard of other people who felt this way about the runes, but yea... you can put me in this category that feels every rune has a spirit.

Sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10   #9
Nacken

I don't personify the rune spirits as is done in the article, but I agree that each rune seems to have some sort of consciousness and the capacity for independent action.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote