Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic > Dion Fortune

Dion Fortune Forum for discussion of Dion, her work, books, magic and life; modern interpreters of her thought

Old 06-19-10   #21
feranaja

Default Re: Dion Fortune and the Inner Light

Oh I believe it! The more esoteric things like Through the gates of Death and so on are not usually the first ones people get. How new are you to DF? I really don't remember.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10   #22
moonbride
I'm just me.

Fairly new. I've had Avalon for years and one other... can't think of which one offhand. The rest I've come to over the last six months or so.

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
made alive by the good brown earth and fresh with the breath of herb and tree;
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

moonbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10   #23
feranaja

I can't express how tickled I am to have someone to talk with about her work. Someday I am going to write a book, inspired by DF. But not this year...<G>

Shane Parrish
Old 06-19-10   #24
moonbride
I'm just me.

I'm tickled as well.
I have a feeling it's going to be the summer of DF for me. I have more opportunities to read during the summer months because the sun does not agree with me... so while most people spend more time outside in the summer I'm just the opposite.

Hell I'm likely to finish the Inner Light this weekend at the rate I'm going now. I can't seem to keep my nose out of it!

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

Old 06-21-10   #25
David_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Thanks for the link .

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbride View Post
Awesome!
I want them all damnit!

I think I'm already well on my way to having them all though.

So do I, I'm not nearly on my way to having them all, but, I definitely want to read all of her works, including her fiction (right now, I've got 'Practical Occultism', 'The Sea Priestess', 'Psychic Self-Defence', and 'The Occult Novels of Dion Fortune' by Gareth Knight (not written by her, but, I think it'll still help)), I definitely want to read all the others.

This summer, I think, may be one where I get a lot of reading done, especially on the Kabbalah.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10   #26
moonbride
I'm just me.

That is my intent this summer as well, David. I have several of her books here I'm waiting to read and several more on their way to me. I have been able to find some of her works online to download as well at scribd.com. She's got plenty to keep me busy for quite a while I'm thinking.

~ Dion Fortune

Old 06-22-10   #27
David_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbride View Post
That is my intent this summer as well, David. I have several of her books here I'm waiting to read and several more on their way to me. I have been able to find some of her works online to download as well at scribd.com. She's got plenty to keep me busy for quite a while I'm thinking.
I know what you mean, and, also, reading is one thing, understanding is another, so, there's a lot to keep you busy!.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10   #28
moonbride
I'm just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
For me, the most important works are Psychic Self Defense, Mystical Qabalah, Training and Work of an Initiate, and Glastonbury. The Cosmic Doctrine too but it's a book more to train the mind than educate, and really not for the casual reader, to whom it appears, usually, like gibberish.
I am almost done with DF and the Inner Light and plan to read Moon Magic next. After that the ones I'm missing from the above list should be here.

I was wondering what's the best order to read the bolded above to get the best understanding. In reading DF and the Inner Light, it seems that most of these tie into each other in some way so I just wondered if you had an opinion on the best order to read them in.

~ Dion Fortune

Old 06-24-10   #29
feranaja

I think the bios can be taken at your own pace,as you see fit. I re-read Quest every year or so. Now, it helps to have an idea the order in which Dion wrote them, so you can see how her thought progressed:as you can see from the link above, Psycic Self Defense and T&W are earlier books. There's a bit of her early spiritualism stuff to wade thru in PSD. I think T&W stands as the definitive text on what we are actually doing and striving for when we decide to walk an initiatic path. Someone else was talking about a year and a day training in Wicca as "elitist"; for DF, and for myself, the path unfolds over not one lifetime alone, but many.

I would suggest T&W first. MQ is a text meant to be referred to, re-read, and studied throughout your life, a read through once, much like SP, is just a start. I might suggest starting with T&W, then a runthrough of MQ, which really isher magnum opus, and read with the idea you will refer back to it over and over. Then take on PSD. The gems in there are solid and important for any occultist working with advanced techniques, or even someone on a message forum who may make enemies of unbalanced people. <G> But I dont personally feel you need it so much right now. This would be my suggested order - and then take on Applied Magic, and read the fiction again only start with GoatFoot God this time and read them as a trilogy.
Is that enough reading for a summer afternoon?

Shane Parrish
Old 06-24-10   #30
moonbride
I'm just me.

Umm... yeah I think so.

Thanks for your input. Goat Foot God is the only one I don't have or don't have on the way. I'll have to get that one on order soon.

~ Dion Fortune