Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Pantheism

Pantheism The 'All is One and One is All' Forum for discussion of Pantheism and related beliefs.

Old 01-06-13   #1
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Pantheism and the Afterlife

How do Pantheists view life after death? Is there any spiritual continuation? Is there a standard Pantheist position on the afterlife?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13   #2
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

Default Re: Pantheism and the Afterlife

Probably not. The emphasis of Pantheism is very much on the individual's interpretation of the basic truth; everything is one.

For me the afterlife is one where my identity will not survive. When death occurs my atoms will disipate as the matter that was my body breaks down through decay. They will become absorbed into the earth, the sky, the ocean, from where they might become constituent parts of other life forms; plants or animals.

The cycle will continue, even when the Earth itself dies everything it contains will be reclaimed by the universe to build new planets, new suns, new galaxies.

This is a true eternal existence; one in which we have to be brave enough to let go of our concept of self and accept that we are only a part of a much bigger whole.
TygerTyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13   #3
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Yup. What TT said. Also, for me it's extremely important to remember that I will continue through the memories people have of me, the stories they tell about me, and anything I might leave behind in terms of art, activism, or other legacy.

Continuation of genetic lines through our children is also pretty nifty (I say this even as someone who is voluntarily childless).
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13   #4
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsmith bat Gaia View Post
Yup. What TT said. Also, for me it's extremely important to remember that I will continue through the memories people have of me, the stories they tell about me, and anything I might leave behind in terms of art, activism, or other legacy.

Continuation of genetic lines through our children is also pretty nifty (I say this even as someone who is voluntarily childless).
I wish that I had mentioned those as well!
Old 01-11-13   #5
DrumWolf
Dark Green Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsmith bat Gaia View Post

This.
It's also amazing to think that one day, as I plan to get buried rather than cremated, that I will be absorbed into grass, trees, herbs...
What better immortality can one strive for than to be part of the cycle?
DrumWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13   #6
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Does this mean pantheism rules out the possibility of personal spiritual continuation; maintaining some aspects of your personality in a life beyond this physical world?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13   #7
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

I think that Pantheism is at best ambivalent on that question.

It maybe that our consciousness does indeed survive death, in whcih case that raises a whole raft of other questions, but then again it maybe that it does not so when we die that is it.

Of course transmutation, one thing changing into another thing, is a feature of the universe on every scale and this may well be what happens to us after death in a spiritual context. We are no longer human but something different.

The problem is that Pantheism relies heavily on subjective experience of existence underpinned by empirical evidence, which is not a good basis for considering an afterlife?!
Old 01-14-13   #8
SJA

I once posed the same question to the Pantheist group and the short answer is no. There is only the here and now.

The basic concepts comprise:

Reverence for Nature and the wider Universe.
Active respect and care for the rights of all humans and other living beings.
Celebration or our lives in our bodies on this beautiful earth as a joy and a privilege.
Strong naturalism, without belief in supernatural realms, afterlives, beings or forces.
Respect for reason, evidence and the scientific method as our best ways of understanding nature and the Universe.
Promotion of religious tolerance, freedom of religion and complete separation of state and religion.

Check us out at: http://pantheists.ning.com/
Old 01-22-13   #9
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
I once posed the same question to the Pantheist group and the short answer is no. There is only the here and now.

The basic concepts comprise:

Reverence for Nature and the wider Universe.
Active respect and care for the rights of all humans and other living beings.
Celebration or our lives in our bodies on this beautiful earth as a joy and a privilege.
Strong naturalism, without belief in supernatural realms, afterlives, beings or forces.
Respect for reason, evidence and the scientific method as our best ways of understanding nature and the Universe.
Promotion of religious tolerance, freedom of religion and complete separation of state and religion.

Check us out at: http://pantheists.ning.com/
Yup; that's the general stance of the World Pantheist Movement, please remember that not all pantheists believe as the WPM does. The Universal Pantheist Society, for instance, recognizes a wider umbrella of beliefs, not all of them so definitively naturalistic. Some pantheists do believe in some form of personal afterlife; others consider it an irrelevant question and don't think about it one way or another.
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13   #10
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

It seems to me that recycling is at the core of the universe's activity; galaxies, stars, planets, water, earth, living things - everything gets recycled and turned into something else.

Without excepting a division between the mind and the body then it seems difficult to argue that the id could survive death in a Pantheist reality?

Personally I have no problem with this but I think that it does represent something of a challenge for other people.