Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 07-12-10   #11
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Default Re: The New Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
I know the title of the thread was "new moon" but I thought you were asking about doing working on the "dark of the moon". Confuzzled here.
So am I I think that's what I was asking. aren't they the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya View Post

as to be mor eon topic, im not sure of any shamnic practices that would be done, maybe a vision quest or something like that. i can imagine if your were just starting your journey a vision quest ont he new moon would be very powerful
woohoo for faster computers and blonde hair! lol

I did actually do a journey to the underworld where I haven't been before and met Persephone who I was told was the queen of the underworld and had a conversation with her. At the time I seem to remember doubting she was the queen although I know who she is and I know the story about Hades and pomegranates etc

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #12
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by green aventurine View Post

I did actually do a journey to the underworld where I haven't been before and met Persephone who I was told was the queen of the underworld and had a conversation with her. At the time I seem to remember doubting she was the queen although I know who she is and I know the story about Hades and pomegranates etc
hmm how odd, i think the other night i had a dream about going ot the underworld, but i think i was actually like there. idk ever since its happened ive just had this odd feelign that i retrieved someones soul while i was sleeping and gave it back to them.

granted soul retrieval is a common shamanic practice but i wasnt doing it intentionally, nor had i planned on doing it anytime soon. alls i know is when i was there i just wanted out, it was beyond terrifying and she kept wanting to stay so i literally had to drag this girl and two of her friends out fo the place. finally we got back to a room like an old theatre stage and i closed the door, they wanted to go back but i told them they couldnt so they left. where i dont know, but i know they didnt go back to that place. it was very strange and i felt very....discomforted by it, which is why i think it may have been real and then my mind just turned it into a dream after that

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #13
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
hmm how odd, i think the other night i had a dream about going ot the underworld, but i think i was actually like there. idk ever since its happened ive just had this odd feelign that i retrieved someones soul while i was sleeping and gave it back to them.

granted soul retrieval is a common shamanic practice but i wasnt doing it intentionally, nor had i planned on doing it anytime soon. alls i know is when i was there i just wanted out, it was beyond terrifying and she kept wanting to stay so i literally had to drag this girl and two of her friends out fo the place. finally we got back to a room like an old theatre stage and i closed the door, they wanted to go back but i told them they couldnt so they left. where i dont know, but i know they didnt go back to that place. it was very strange and i felt very....discomforted by it, which is why i think it may have been real and then my mind just turned it into a dream after that
I think I did go to the underworld with the intention of retrieving a 'bit' of myself but seemed to spend a lot of time fighting spiders and skeletons with an algiz rune

~Rumi

Old 07-12-10   #14
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Quote:
I think I did go to the underworld with the intention of retrieving a 'bit' of myself but seemed to spend a lot of time fighting spiders and skeletons with an algiz rune
thats odd lol i wasnt actually bothered by anything except spirits. there was always a feeling that something far worse was there which is why i was so motivated to kepp moving, but it was just faces, all around me, it gives me the creeps just thinking about it, im like terribly close to crying remembering that night.

but i guess it was all for the best as far as that girl and her friends are concerned, i never did think ot see if there had been any sort of accidents or anything that night

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #15
Luna

Quote:

Hm, I guess maybe some do call them the same thing. I believe the dark of the moon is the opposite of the full moon, and the new moon is the very first sliver of the moon that emerges from the earth's shadow.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #16
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Hm, I guess maybe some do call them the same thing. I believe the dark of the moon is the opposite of the full moon, and the new moon is the very first sliver of the moon that emerges from the earth's shadow.
aha! to me, the dark of the moon and the new moon are the same thing although what you say makes a bit more sense and clears up a lot of confusion for me as well when talking about 'occult'/pagan matters lol

So essentially dark moon is ending and getting rid of people and stuff which is immediately followed by the first sliver of the moon where you introduce new things and make new beginnings.

Do people do two separate rituals etc on each night? Or do you do it all on the same night and if so which one?

~Rumi

Old 07-12-10   #17
Luna

Quote:
aha! to me, the dark of the moon and the new moon are the same thing although what you say makes a bit more sense and clears up a lot of confusion for me as well when talking about 'occult'/pagan matters lol

So essentially dark moon is ending and getting rid of people and stuff which is immediately followed by the first sliver of the moon where you introduce new things and make new beginnings.

Do people do two separate rituals etc on each night? Or do you do it all on the same night and if so which one?
I was taught that the full moon lasts 3 nights (some say 5), so the dark of the moon would also last 3 nights. So for me, the dark of the moon and the new moon would be on different nights and would involve different types of magic/ritual.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #18
Fethenwen

Damn! I forgot about the solar eclipse! I did not do anything yesterday, other than I dreamt about something dark and sinister. Interesting, it was about my house having something in it, and that I should purify it. Maybe I should I don't think I have ever taken the time to do it, at least not properly.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #19
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
I was taught that the full moon lasts 3 nights (some say 5), so the dark of the moon would also last 3 nights. So for me, the dark of the moon and the new moon would be on different nights and would involve different types of magic/ritual.
Yeah, that all makes a bit more sense to me now.

I'll try again tonight with something different and see what happens lol

~Rumi

Old 07-16-10   #20
Twilight Siren

Quote:
awes im sad, ididnt know there was an eclipse too! but i had to work through it anyway, stupid walmart.

oh well, the new moon explains why i had the urge to finally dye my hair again last night, back closer to my natural color but a bit lighter ^~^

aka this puppy is now blonde XD

also explains why i felt the need to purge my comp of old unused websites and files, hooray for more space and a faster computer!

as to be mor eon topic, im not sure of any shamnic practices that would be done, maybe a vision quest or something like that. i can imagine if your were just starting your journey a vision quest ont he new moon would be very powerful

it seems so odd that just a month ago the idiots across the street were dancing around a fire chanting at the last full moon XD good times good times, im just glad they didnt actually stir anything up >.<
tee hee . . .I got the urge to dye my hair closer to my natural color just a couple days ago as well!!!!

Any other ideas, more specifically, on something for the new moon, or dark moon?

http://www.diaryofdissonance.com/

"God didn't come for the girls, you idiot.
. . . He came for the jazz."
Twilight Siren is offline   Reply With Quote