Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity

Gender and Identity Forum for the discussion of gender and sexuality and how it factors into identity

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-11   #21
Spiral
 
Spiral's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 269

Reputation: 34
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
No but why pick on Kim when so many straight celebs have done this, time and time again. There are so many celebs they could pick on over this.
As Shakti said, probably because it's current news. It isn't just gay marriage advocates who are talking about this, it was on the Australian news with references to other celebrities who have had short marriages. I think this particular divorce is raising eyebrows because of the large amounts of money that were apparently involved.

I wouldn't worry about it, Princess. The Kardashians have placed themselves in the position of receiving huge media attention, I'm sure they're prepared to deal with it (and even benefit from it).

And gay marriage advocates wouldn't be advocating marriage if they expected marriage to become obsolete.
__________________
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring
And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze;
For above and around me the wild wind is roaring,
Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
- Anne Bronte -
Spiral is offline  
Old 11-03-11   #22
PrincessKLS

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,621

Reputation: 166
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
As Shakti said, probably because it's current news. It isn't just gay marriage advocates who are talking about this, it was on the Australian news with references to other celebrities who have had short marriages. I think this particular divorce is raising eyebrows because of the large amounts of money that were apparently involved.

I wouldn't worry about it, Princess. The Kardashians have placed themselves in the position of receiving huge media attention, I'm sure they're prepared to deal with it (and even benefit from it).

And gay marriage advocates wouldn't be advocating marriage if they expected marriage to become obsolete.

Well yeah, I know how the Kardashians work but I want to see an outcry over the next A-list celeb that does this.
PrincessKLS is offline  
Old 11-03-11   #23
Lelitu

 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 75

Reputation: 11
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
They're spitting in the face of straight people who work hard at their relationships as well. Princess, I'm sorry, but I'm perfectly happy with the press going after them, in the same way that I'm happy for the press over here to focus on sham marriages enacted for the purpose of getting residence (technically, just so we're sure 'infinite right to remain', the situation in the US is a bit different).

<snip>

blessings
ffetcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
Why not? Christian religious leaders scream about divorced couples all the time. At least people who advocate equality and fairness have a reason to point out that something like half of all first marriages end in divorce.
http://www.divorcerate.org/ Seventy-four percent of third marriages end in divorce. It's not very sacred, if that's the case. You can't say it's religious or spiritual, if it's a short-term contract.

I have never been married. Know why? I thought it through. If I give my word, I keep it. Marriage vows, even those in a secular ceremony, generally promise a lifetime commitment. I'm not willing to promise that. I don't know who I'll be tomorrow, so I can't know what I'll feel tomorrow. Therefore, I don't make a promise, thinking I can simply break it later if I decide to leave. I think we should do away with the outdated, archaic, ridiculous idea of forever marriage, anyway. After all, I heard somewhere (don't know the accuracy, but I like the idea) that the average lifespan when marriage started was around 30-35. If that's true, it could explain a lot. It's easier to promise forever if forever really means 20 years, as opposed to 70.

Why shouldn't we look down on divorce in less than extreme circumstances? Marriage is a voluntary oath. If you break it due to abuse or infidelity, it is not you who broke trust first, and I understand. But, "I don't love you any more," is a childish idea. You have to work on long-term relationships, sometimes. In my situation, I could leave my boyfriend of nearly a decade tomorrow honorably, because I promised him I'd be with him as long as we both wanted to be together, and I'd leave when it was done. I think my promises through. STILL, I work on my relationship. I try to make my partner happy, I remind myself of why I love him, and I keep in mind that I'm lucky to have someone like him in my life. That's a relationship. That's love for your partner. Anything less isn't a partnership, it's dating. And you can't say you worked on a marriage that ends in a matter of months. That's not work.

I don't think we should look down on divorced people, because we ALL make mistakes. But I do think divorce is wrong, as is any broken promise.
I find I have to agree with both ffetcher and HRH on this
the greater problem is revolving door marriages and the decay in how seriously vows are taken in society nowdays. I'm perhaps old fashioned in believing that breaking a promise is a form of lying. something I might be able to forgive, but not forget.
__________________
The cost of freedom, is the consequences of your actions

None so blind as zie who will not see
Lelitu is offline  
Old 11-03-11   #24
Nacken

 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,128

Reputation: 129
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

I don't much care about Kardashian, and I wasn't aware that she had upset the gay community. Are they fans or something? In any case, divorce is no surprise. From all that I have heard she and her family are a bunch of self entitled, spoiled rich bitches with poor judgement and a short attention span. I don't know why they were chosen for a TV show, but I think the family of a mafia don, Gatti, had their own show. They seem to be role models on how not to behave. I wonder whether the rich bitch Kardashians or the gangster Gattis are the worse role models.
Nacken is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #25
ffetcher
 
ffetcher's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Coast UK
Posts: 2,789

Reputation: 265
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
I mean everyone knows at least one straight, married couple that has been married for years and everyone wonders why they're still married.
my emphasis.

Sweeping generalisation, Princess. And unfair. If you mean I or indeed everyone I know, then by all means say it like that. If you mean 'surely everyone here on ESF...', then say it like that.

If you want to suggest that I was being in any way discriminatory about anyone, please call me on it. But don't say 'everyone knows', because it just ain't so.

Please know that, apart from telling me that 'if I just thought it through properly' I'd agree with your point (which you didn't and which no-one on ESF has ever done) the next best way to rile me personally is what you just did.

just saying, as everyone else here says.

blessings
ffetcher
__________________
mankind's greatest advances are launched on dreams
(dedication in Tess Gerritsen's "Gravity")
...the dreams that stuff is made of
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #26
PrincessKLS

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,621

Reputation: 166
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

I really don't understand these personal attacks thrown at me, it seems like I can't start a thread anymore without someone screaming foul play.
PrincessKLS is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #27
Cassie
Lady of the Left

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,683

Reputation: 532
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

PKLS,there have been no personal attacks on you in this or any other thread. People have pointed out serious flaws in your arguments. It is you who makes things personal and puts yourself at the center of debates.
Cassie is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #28
Myliobatis
seeking
 
Myliobatis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California, USA
Posts: 1,180

Reputation: 155
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
I really don't understand these personal attacks thrown at me, it seems like I can't start a thread anymore without someone screaming foul play.
Disagreement =/= personal attack.

When will you learn this?

When someone is incorrect, pointing that out is not a personal attack.

Read these two sentences:

"That is your personal opinion, and it doesn't hold up to the facts."
"That is your personal opinion, and it's dumb and I don't like it, and I don't like you, so shut up."

Do you see the difference? Because while people nearly always tell you the first, here on ESF, you seem to think they're telling you the second, and react accordingly.

And, yet again... you've turned a thread into about how poor you are being attacked by all the meanies. It gets old.
__________________

mundus vult decipi


"...being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you, and if you do nothing, they lose hope.
You have to use a light touch ... When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

God from Futurama
Myliobatis is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #29
PrincessKLS

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,621

Reputation: 166
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myliobatis View Post
Disagreement =/= personal attack.

When will you learn this?

When someone is incorrect, pointing that out is not a personal attack.

Read these two sentences:

"That is your personal opinion, and it doesn't hold up to the facts."
"That is your personal opinion, and it's dumb and I don't like it, and I don't like you, so shut up."

Do you see the difference? Because while people nearly always tell you the first, here on ESF, you seem to think they're telling you the second, and react accordingly.

And, yet again... you've turned a thread into about how poor you are being attacked by all the meanies. It gets old.

Opinion is never fact. Opinion is something so personal that it defies facts and logic. And if you are really that offended by my threads and such, then don't answer them.
PrincessKLS is offline  
Old 11-07-11   #30
PrincessKLS

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,621

Reputation: 166
Default Re: Why are Gay Marriage advocates are so upset with Kim Kardashian's divorce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
PKLS,there have been no personal attacks on you in this or any other thread. People have pointed out serious flaws in your arguments. It is you who makes things personal and puts yourself at the center of debates.

And what was all that about when I started a thread to debate media influences on marriage ideals??? It felt like a personal attack! You got offended by my argument and then you screamed that I was being so prejudice, I thought it would be an interesting thread to comptemplate, and then all the gays on the forum got so offended. Are straight people just not allowed to ask questions about the gay community? Or even debate it's influence on the world? I guess we are the oppressors, we are stupid, we must kiss ass to get ahead right?
PrincessKLS is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Current time: 12:22 PM (GMT -4)


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2019, EarthSong Forums. Most rights reserved.