Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 09-07-10   #1
Oazaki

Default The Temple of Aphrodite at Corinth

Well, I finally made it there this summer! Here's what archeologists claim is the actual Temple of Aphrodite site:

In fact, from the vibe at that location, it was just the 'Entrance, approval and payment' foyer-type area. Very few people ever had sex there, and those who did were being naughty and off-limits.

Most of the actual sexual practice took place in what is now a field, located immediately forwards of that site:

The last photo there shows the view you had from there. Must have been superb, even at night.

Here's the only surviving piece of recognisable column from the period on the site:

Emanates a very distinct vibe and set of memories, for those who find it fun to tune into such things ;-)

The site is on top of a rock, much like the Parthenon in Athens:

Quite high up, about an hour to walk it. Going uphill, this meant only the physically fit could visit, or would be inclined to, as a general rule. Good siting for a Temple of Aphrodite!

From a certain perspective, it looks quite 'Wall of China'. The site is, in fact, nowadays still surrounded by fort, dating back to roman times and middle ages.

Here's a photo of the fort in fuller aspect:

__________________________________________________ _________-

And, as this is a Temple of Aphrodite and I went there on a pilgrimage, here's what else I got out of the process:

This is, indisputably and in practice, what a Corinthian column actually looked like:

People who claim that other column designs are Corinthian are not, in fact, correct. What they are working with is some form of composite column. So there.

The classic postcard view, from the Temple of Apollo:

Another classic view:

And, finally, I am to be married for 25 years, at a minimum:

We're serious about the physical immortality, and intend to arrive intact and not much altered. How could we advocate for polygamy as a superior option, though, if we had not successfully and in great style also fully experienced the classic Christian (and other assorted religions and societies) alternative first?

all the best,
Oazaki.

My ambition? Restart Temple of Venus as one of the mainstream religions of this planet, bigger than Islam for example.

Closed circuit induction loops: you sow, you reap. Not open to those with no Principles. "Unless you always have the potential within, the Great Function will not appear." -
Yagyū Munenori.

Last edited by Oazaki; 09-07-10 at 12:34 PM.
Oazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10   #2
Oazaki

Default Re: The Temple of Aphrodite at Corinth

Oh yeah, and for those of you who've been to Athens, and find the old part of the town pleasant as an atmosphere to move within, here is a picture taken in the village of Ancient Corinth which, I think, reveals an interesting location to enable the depopulation and reconstruction of Athens to go ahead:

Build Acrocorinth as the New Athens!

I'd suggest keeping it for a small elite instead though. Could definitely be a worthwhile little town, better than Monacco...

My ambition? Restart Temple of Venus as one of the mainstream religions of this planet, bigger than Islam for example.

Closed circuit induction loops: you sow, you reap. Not open to those with no Principles. "Unless you always have the potential within, the Great Function will not appear." -
Yagyū Munenori.

Old 09-07-10   #3
Kokaba'al

Wow, what great shots you took, and what an amazing place and space.

Is that you and your wife/girlfriend in the last picture on post 1? You look great together - are you Italian?

Thanks for sharing these. What a stunning site.
Old 09-07-10   #4
The Black Elf

WOW!..First off congratulations Seb & I hope you have a long & happy marriage & get blessed with lots of kids. (my youngest is 2 tomorrow)

Of the 4 great orders of architecture(Ionian,Doric,Tuscan & Corinthian),Corinthian is the *youngest* & by far the fanciest?then you have Composite,so the architecture is Corinthian or Composite?

The Temple of the Sybil in Tivoli near Rome is Corinthian as was most of the Roman stuff.Dunno what the Temple of Sybil is like which is under Vatican City,probably an older order of architecture?

What a great place!

Cheers,

DW

Scotland was once called the kingdom of Albion,aftwer the Ionians & we still have a large sector of Peichtish descent around Dundee who speak a dialect called Doric.

http://www.ishtartemple.org/history.htm what a romantic place for a honeymoon.......awwwwwwwww

Last edited by The Black Elf; 09-07-10 at 01:09 PM.
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10   #5
Oazaki

Hey, thanks for the wishes Andy! Interesting little fact about Ancient Greeks in Scotland, quite a distance to navigate... and then pass down the dialect through the centuries. Demonstrates a lot of perseverance that...

Hope all is well with you and that we manage to keep some contact over the years (until the Great Show is on the road, when doubtless a lot of us will all gather at a new centre of culture, and hang out, exchange notes and stories, etc...)

all the best,
Oaz.

Yagyū Munenori.

Old 09-09-10   #6
Oazaki

She is my fiancee, Kokaba'al, we're planning to get married sometime around May of next year. Glad you like the site, it is a special one :-)

I'm a quarter Greek, one quarter Greek Cypriot and half German by descent. British and Greek Cypriot by nationality. There is some Polish and Italian in my heritage, but further back than the grandparents. However, I have my location set at 'Italy and Cyprus' because I am seeking to get something back from The Vatican - which they quite inappropriately stole from me, prior to realising (or accepting?) who I was - and, thus, I have localized an aspect of my being there permanently until they realize the grave error of their ways and have covered sufficient ground making ammends.

all the best,
Oazaki.

Yagyū Munenori.

Old 09-09-10   #7
feranaja
Forest Creature

Beautiful shots, beautiful couple. I'm so very happy for you Oazaki - my congratulations to you both.

fera

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

“Blessed are those who do whatever they can wherever they are, for no one is devoid of resources or opportunities.
Daniel Quinn
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10   #8
SavannahSkye

Congrats darl!
J xx
Old 09-12-10   #9
petrus4
Leaper

They ought to rebuild that temple. Given how the Greek economy is so hosed at the moment from what I've heard, the Greek government ought to pull out of the EU perhaps, and work on becoming independent to the extent that they can, within their own borders. Get some real patriotism back; the temple of Aphrodite could be part of that. After all, love of country is a form of love!

Congrats btw, Oazaki.
My Shakti.
The Wonka.

Jai Kali Ma!
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10   #10
Oazaki

Thanks y'all

Yagyū Munenori.